Today, the James Beard Foundation announced its slate of finalists for its 2022 awards. This short list of nominees honors the year’s outstanding restaurants and chefs — the first such list since 2020.
The semifinalist rolled out last month with several new nominees from lesser-recognized towns in North Carolina, like Greensboro and Winston-Salem.
The Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony will take place in Chicago on June 13. Here are the finalist across the Carolinas and the Lowcountry:
- Mashama Bailey, The Grey, Savannah, GA
- Butcher & Bee, Charleston, SC
- Chai Pani, Asheville, NC
- Cleophus Hethington, Benne on Eagle, Asheville, NC
- Cúrate, Asheville, NC
Outstanding Bar Program
- Alley Twenty Six, Durham, NC
Best Chef: Southeast (GA, KY, NC, SC, TN, WV)
- Katie Button, Cúrate, Asheville, NC
- Greg Collier, Leah & Louise, Charlotte, NC
- Cheetie Kumar, Garland, Raleigh, NC
- Ricky Moore, Saltbox Seafood Joint, Durham, NC
Disclosure: Some Vox Media staff members are part of the voting body for the James Beard Awards.