clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

South Carolina Restaurants Told to Shutter Dine-In Service

Many are pivoting to takeout

South Carolina Voters Go The Polls In Primary Elections Photo by Sean Rayford/Getty Images

On Tuesday, March 17, South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster ordered that restaurants and bars stop dine-in services starting today, Wednesday, March 18. He also prohibited the gatherings of 50 people or more in order to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Many Charleston restaurants had already planned to focus on delivery and takeout to continue business. For example, Kwei Fei owner David Schuttenberg says that he already has a to-go option, but is working on setting up DoorDash delivery, so fans of his Sichuan cooking can still have it while practicing social distancing.

The Indigo Road Group (Macintosh, Oak Steakhouse, Indaco, and O-Ku) made the decision to lay off employees in order to allow them to collect unemployment payments. The group of restaurants still retain a general manager and executive chef that have the ability to offer takeout orders at their discretion.

Eater will try to keep a running list of establishments offering takeout and delivery here. There’s also a website dedicated to tracking restaurants called Dining at a Distance.

All Kwei Fei Coverage [ECAR]
Indigo Road, Neighborhood Dining Group Lay Off Nearly 1,500 Workers Amid COVID-19 Closures [P&C]
Dining at a Distance [Official]

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Carolina newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter.