Chef José Andrés and non-profit World Central Kitchen (WCK) are set up in North Carolina and are ready to feed first responders and residents left without food after the devastation of Hurricane Florence.
Committed WCK crew member Tim Kilcoyne told Eater that he arrived in Wilmington on Tuesday, September 11, and went to work securing a commercial kitchen, placing supply orders, and calling out for volunteers.
In the past, WCK usually comes into an area after a natural disaster — as was the case in Puerto Rico — but this time, the crew assembled before the hurricane hit, so it was a bit of a guessing game on how much to prepare. Kilcoyne said that the team purchased three semi-trucks full of products and brought in enough generators, diesel, and propane to keep the operation going. “There is a lot of devastation,” he said, “So everything is being put to use.”
Andrés is currently tweeting videos and photographs of the volunteers working hard to feed New Hanover, Columbus, Brunswick, and Pender counties in North Carolina.
WCK first put its chef network to use for relief after Hurricane Matthew hit Houston. Since then, the organization has been on the front line of providing food during natural disasters. Local and visiting chefs make a huge difference in the affected areas.