CEO of Patrick Properties Hospitality Group Randall Goldman has been accused of sexually suggestive behavior this week, and the restaurant community is reacting.
For those not familiar: Who is Randall Goldman? He is the CEO of Patrick Properties, which is a prominent hospitality group in Charleston that runs various wedding venues and the forthcoming Parcel 32. Goldman also sits/sat on many F&B organizations, like the James Beard Foundation National Advisory Board, Board of Directors for Charleston Wine + Food festival, and the Greater Charleston Restaurant Association.
To understand what’s happening in the food and beverage community, Eater has put together a time line.
Wednesday, February 21
- Charleston City Paper reported that Charleston Wine + Food festival’s Board of Directors planned a “Public Board Meeting” for February 22, concerning “personnel matters.”
- Post & Courier discovered Goldman requested an injunction to stop the Charleston Wine + Food board from meeting and thus subsequently removing a board member. Goldman also filed a libel lawsuit against “John Doe” for emails sent to the Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau the Greater Charleston Restaurant Association stating that he was “facing allegations of sexual harassment and creation of a hostile work environment.”
- Reporter Hanna Raskin filed an extensive article cataloging complaints and concerns from former Goldman employees that he acted inappropriately in the workplace. Eight accounts painted him as “a chronic trespasser of social boundaries, prone to doling out backrubs, planting kisses and sending unseemly late-night text messages against recipients’ wishes.”
Thursday, February 22
- The Charleston Wine + Food board voted unanimously to remove Goldman.
- The Greater Charleston Restaurant Association made a statement: “Our team’s experience with Randall Goldman has always been professional. We have not experienced any inappropriate behavior by Mr. Goldman, and consequently have no plans to take action at this time”
- Attorney Allen Holmes provided the following statement on behalf of Celeste and Charles Patrick and Patrick Properties: “We would like to reiterate that we take allegations and rumors of misconduct very seriously. We have repeatedly invited anyone with concerns to contact us so that we can hear and promptly address any allegations. Let us firmly state that Patrick Properties Hospitality Group is committed to a safe workplace, will investigate any complaint, and will take appropriate action whenever warranted.”
- The James Beard Foundation has not issued a statement on Goldman.
Friday, February 23
- The James Beard Foundation issued the following statement on Goldman: “In light of recent allegations that have been made against National Advisory Board member Randall Goldman, the James Beard Foundation has accepted the resignation of Mr. Goldman from his position.”
• With a Week to Go, Charleston Wine + Food Calls ‘Public Board Meeting’ [CP]
• Randall Goldman Asks Judge to Stop Charleston Wine + Food Festival Meeting [P&C]
• Influential Charleston Restaurateur Randall Goldman Accused of Misconduct by Former Employees [P&C]
• Charleston Wine + Food Board Unanimously Votes to Remove Randall Goldman [CP]