82 Wentworth St. may not look like much now, but the Alcoholic Beverage Licensing notice on the building declares that the address will be the future home of chef Ben Towill’s Basic Kitchen.
There aren’t many details on Basic Kitchen yet, but Towill announced the restaurant at this year’s Charleston Wine + Food event Pecha Kucha. The chef is a partner in several New York eateries, like Fat Radish, so locals have watched his every move since he and wife Kate relocated to the Lowcountry to start restoration and design business Basic Projects.
Towill promised Eater more details on Basic Kitchen, including a tour, very soon.
The space at 82 Wentworth St. has pretty much sat empty since Andolini’s Pizza left in 2013. There was a time when Chicken Salad Chick tried to move in or the other time Delish! Bakery & Bistro opened the doors for a only few days. Perhaps with a veteran restaurateur at the helm, the building can once again be home to reliable downtown dining option.
• Charleston-Based Restaurateur Ben Towill Reopens Beloved Cornwall Pub [CP]
• Fat Radish [Official]
• Leaving Brooklyn for a Charleston Cottage [NYT]
• Basic Projects [Official]
• R.I.P. Downtown Andolini’s Pizza [ECHS]
• Delish! Bakery & Bistro Disappears From Wentworth Street [ECHS]