March 10, 2017
1) North Central — After years of waiting, Charleston finally gets a taste of Mexico by the way of chef Robert Berry and restaurateur Jimmy Poole. Brightly colored cantina Pancito & Lefty pulls in the hip crowds on a nightly basis for mezcal, fish tacos, and pozole. Status: Certified open. 708 King St.; website.
2) West Ashley — Looking for a big slice of pizza and a cold beer? Stop by the updated Frothy Beard Brewing plus Zombie Bob’s Pizza space for both. Status: Opens March 11. 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd.; website.
February 24, 2017
1) Wando — Lowcountry Coffee Roasters decided to open a shop dedicated to its beans. Lowco Cafe serves cups of caffeine, pastries, an smoothies. Status: Certified open. 1171 Clements Ferry Rd.; website.
2) Cannonborough/Elliotborough — Taking over the former Two Boroughs Larder space, Sorghum & Salt offers plenty of local produce and seafood. Chef Tres Jackson comes to the Lowcountry by the way of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Status: Certified open. 186 Coming St.; website.
3) Mount Pleasant — Southern-influenced eatery The Granary moved addresses this year and opened up with a new raw bar and outdoor seating. Look for a similar menu from chef Brannon Florie as the original location. Status: Certified open. 835 Coleman Blvd.; website.
February 14, 2017
1) North Central — Last week, Charleston finally got a taste of Rodney Scott’s BBQ without having to drive all the way to Hemingway. Folks have lined up for a taste of whole hog barbecue since day one. Status: Certified open. 1011 King St.; website.
2) Mount Pleasant — Looking for a corned beef, pastrami, or meatball parm sandwich? Get over to Joey Tomatoes for signature Italian and N.Y. deli stacks. Status: Certified open. 1034 Chuck Dawley Blvd.; website.
3) Harleston — Smith Street Pizza sits at the address of former pie parlor Norm’s. The new spot serves up square slices, salads, hoagies, wings, and more. And now there’s a pool table. Status: Certified open. 225 Calhoun St.; Facebook.
January 26, 2017
1) Radcliffeborough — According to early reports, real-deal Greek food has hit the peninsula with the opening of Richmond-based Stella’s. The menu carries classics like grilled halloumi, moussaka, keftedes, and more. The expansive bar offers happy hour from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Status: Certified open. 114 Saint Philip St.; website.
2) North Charleston — A partnership between nonprofit organization Metanoia and Duvall Catering has developed into Reynolds Avenue restaurant The Macon. The eatery opens 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. with coffee, sandwiches, and salads all under $5.99. Status: Certified open. 2021 Reynolds Ave.; article.
3) Cannonborough/Elliotborough — Find fusion tacos, fajitas, coconut rice bowls, queso, and more at Nacha Mama’s Taqueria. The new neighborhood restaurant offers a place for families and tequila-seekers to mingle. Status: Certified open. 100 Spring St.; website.
4) James Island — Family-owned Sweet Belgium brings authentic Belgian waffles to the Lowcountry. Choose from a wealth of toppings and flavors. Status: Certified open. 327 Folly Rd.; website.
January 7, 2017
1) French Quarter — Looking for Southern small plates, wood-fired entrees, and handmade pastas? Stop by East Bay newcomer Pawpaw for a night out downtown. The popularity of the bar recently prompted the space to stay open until 2:00 a.m. Status: Certified open. 209 East Bay St.; website.
2) Avondale — If you are need of a beer in West Ashley, stop by Charles Towne Fermentory for a house-brewed American pale ale or dry stout. Status: Certified open. 809 Savannah Hwy.; website.
3) North Charleston — Quell any gordita, enchilada, or taco cravings at recently opened Mi Pequeno Hidalgo. Lamb is a star ingredient at this Mexican eatery. Status: Certified open. 6585 Dorchester Rd.; article.
4) North Central — Diners looking for a light lunch should stop by Poke Tea House for a bowl, burrito, or salad of poke. Build your own raw fish dish or choose from a selection of scallops, shrimp, tuna, salmon, or tofu combinations. Status: Certified open. 441 Meeting St.; website.