Like many starting musicians, singer Cary Ann Hearst put in plenty of hours in restaurants before touring as a professional singer-songwriter. Hearst waited tables at Southern restaurant Jestine's and even landed an appearance on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations back in 2007. Now with her days as a server behind her, Hearst hops on the other side of the line to participate in OHM Radio's second annual Sweet Corn Cook Off.
Charleston's indie broadcast station OHM Radio will pair local musicians with Lowcountry restaurants on May 22 for an event to determine who can make the best sweet corn dish. All proceeds from the event go to keep the station on the air. The event takes place at Royal American, starting at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $30 in advance and are available online.
Some other big names in music and the culinary world will also be in attendance. Here's the full lineup:
- Cary Ann Hearst of Shovels & Rope and Obstinate Daughter
- Justin Osborne of SUSTO and Taco Boy
- Lindsay Holler & Matadero and Spero
- Elise Testone and Park Cafe
- Gradual Lean and Lee Lee's Hot Kitchen
- The Very Hypnotic Soul Band and Monza
- Madam Adam and Two Boroughs Larder