Yesterday marked a rare chance for Charlestonians to grab a barbecue sandwich from famed pitmaster Rodney Scott without a road trip to his Hemingway restaurant. After a fire destroyed a cooking shed at Scott's Bar-B-Que, the Fatback Collective planned a "Rodney in Exile" tour to help raise funds for rebuilding. Sunday, December 22, was the first stop of the tour at Nick's Bar-B-Q on King Street, where Scott along with Husk/McCrady's chef Sean Brock doled out pork sandwiches for $5.00 a piece. According to Brock, the queue put "the Cronut line to shame," referring to the New York crowds at Dominique Ansel's bakery this summer.
In case you missed a chance at pulled-pork perfection, there are plenty of recaps, video and tweets to peruse.
· Scott's Bar-B-Que [Official]
· Fire at Scott's Bar-B-Que [-ECHS-]
· Fatback Collective [Tumblr]
· Rodney in Exile Tour [-ECHS-]
· Dominique Ansel on Cronut Mania [-EN-]
· 4th Sunday on King Street Revenue Helping Barbecue Business [Live 5 News]
· Dee Dee Arthur [Instagram]
· #RodneyinExile [Twitter]